Vermont Marriage Records
Try our genealogy search engine
Statewide vital registration in Vermont began in 1857, when the General Assembly passed legislation requiring towns to report all births, marriages, and deaths to the Secretary of State. Prior to that time, some towns kept such records in order to resolve questions concerning the distribution and inheritance of property. We are focusing our efforts on the marriages that occurred prior to 1857.
Order a Marriage Certificate:
Which office you contact to order a vital record depends on how long ago the event took place.
New records - Last five (5) years
Department of Health
Vital Records Section
P.O. Box 70
108 Cherry Street
Burlington, VT 05402
Phone: (802) 863-7275
Older records - More than five (5) years
Vermont State Archives and Records Administration
Contact State Archives
Phone: (802) 828-3286
Fax: (802) 828-3710
Vermont Marriage Records Online:
Addison CountyAddison County was formed 1785 from Rutland County, County seat - Middlebury.
Bennington CountyBennington County was formed 1779 and is an Original County, County seat - Bennington.
- Bennington Vermont Marriage Records, 1763 - 1850 (Grooms)
- Bennington Vermont Marriage Records, 1763 - 1850 (Brides)
Caledonia CountyCaledonia County was formed 1796, and is an original County, County Seat - St Johnsbury.
Chittenden CountyChittenden County was formed 1787 and is an Original County, County seat - Burlington.
- 1789 - 1833 Marriage Records, City of Burlington, Chittenden County, VT
- 1799 - 1847 Marriage Records, Town of Middle Hero, Chittenden County, VT
Essex CountyEssex County was formed 1792 from an unorganized Territory, County seat - Guildhall.
Franklin CountyFranklin County was formed 1792 from Chittenden County, County seat - St. Albans.
Grand Isle CountyGrand Isle County was formed 1802 from Chittenden and Franklin Counties, County seat - North Hero.
Lamoille County:Lamoille County was formed 1835 and is an original County, County seat - Chelsea.
Orange CountyOrange County was formed 1781 and is an Original County, County Seat - Chelsea.
- 1790 - 1810 Marriage Records - First Congregational Church - Newbury, VT
- Strafford, Vermont Marriages by Rev. Aaron Buzzell
Rutland CountyRutland County was formed 1781 and is an Original County, County seat - Rutland.
- 1779 - 1799 Marriage Records, Town of Clarendon, Rutland County, VT
- Marriage Records Prior to 1850, Town of Wells, Rutland County, VT
Justice of Peace Records:
Washington CountyWashington County was formed in 1810 from Addison, Orange, Caledonia, Chittenden, County seat - Montpelier.
Windham CountyWindham County was formed in 1781 from Cumberland, County seat - Newfane.
Windsor CountyWindsor County was formed in 1781 and is an Origional County, County seat - Woodstock.
Vermont Genealogy Resources:
- 1840 Census of Pensioners for Vermont
- Vermont Cemetery Records
- Vermont Census Records
- Vermont Mortality Schedules